She found that the degree to which the article had a positive impression was correlated with ALL of the following signs that the journalists involved knew what they were talking about:Click here for the entire article.
1. mentioning someone with firsthand knowledge
2. time since the media firestorm
3. article length
4. a news versus an opinion style
5. the periodical's prestige
6. the periodical's frequency
I think it's generally hard to find good commentary on economic matters in the popular press. Many reporters nowadays would benefit from a class or two in economics or finance.