Thursday, May 08, 2008

How To Think

Can your teach people how to think more creatively (or effectively)?

Ed Boyden, assistant professor at MIT thinks he can:

When I applied for my faculty job at the MIT Media Lab, I had to write a teaching statement. One of the things I proposed was to teach a class called "How to Think," which would focus on how to be creative, thoughtful, and powerful in a world where problems are extremely complex, targets are continuously moving, and our brains often seem like nodes of enormous networks that constantly reconfigure. In the process of thinking about this, I composed 10 rules, which I sometimes share with students. I've listed them here, followed by some practical advice on implementation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The educational establishment has taught us what to think for centuries. I concur with the proof, yes you can teach someone how to think, beginning by teaching yourself outside the "box."

Duane morison said...

You have a good point here! I totally agree with what you have said!! Thanks for sharing your views...hope more people will read this article keep up the good work Neo Trench Coat