Friday, September 02, 2005

File Synchronization Software

I usually work on my laptop, but from time to time, I also use the desktop in my office, and (since the antenna in my house has on the fritz), my home desktop. As a result, I spend a lot of time shuffling files from one computer to another.

Most of you probably are aware of this, but there's file synchronization software that automatically synchronizes selected folders over the internet. Thursday's Wall street Journal (subscription required for online access) has a good article on two programs - FolderShare and BeInSync. When installed, updating a file in one of the "synchronized" folders results in it automatically being updated on the others over the internet. Pretty cool.

This looks like just the ticket. I recall all the grief I went through when my laptop went down (and the last time the College techies "upgraded" my office computer). I had backups (I am, after all, neurotic), but it was still a pain in the you-know-what, and I had to do too much needless running around.

The article favors FolderShare, but if any of you have experience with file-sync software, feel free to share it.

No comments: