Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day and The Boys of Pointe Du Hoc

Just a short note to honor all the brave men and women who have given their lives defending our country.

Peggy Noonan is one of my favorite writers, and Ronald Reagan one of my favorite speakers. Last night, I was skimming through her book "What I Saw at the Revolution" for about the twentieth time. I came across the section where she tells the story of the crafting of how Reagan's D-Day anniversary speech "The Boys of Pointe Du Hoc." I still think it's one of the most moving speeches I've ever heard. It honors the Ranger unit who scaled the cliffs at Normandy at great cost (losing almost 60% of their unit to casualties over a couple of short, brutal days).

In case you're interested, here's an audio clip of the speech, compliments of American Rhetoric.

Have a good Memorial Day.

No comments: