Saturday, December 10, 2011

Winding Down The Semester at Unknown University

It's Saturday afternoon, and I'm in my office writing final exams while the rest of the Unknown Family is one state away at a nephew's birthday part.

So that means it must be the end of the semester.

I have one day of classes left and two exams to give - one in my principles class and one for my student-managed investment fund class. and both exams are well on the way to being written. So, I'm in better shape than I have been at the end of the semester than in a while (I'm usually doing the mad scramble for the finish line). I figure another day's work on the exams and a couple of days grading, and I'm done until the next crop comes in.

It's been a good semester. My principles class went better than it's gone in a long time. I always try to give my students their money's worth, and push them significantly harder than in the other sections of the class. In prior semesters, they'd griped about this to the Powers That Be.

This semester seemed different. Part of this was that I have a much better attitude about life than I had previously. Most people who know me would characterize me as enthusiastic (sometimes to a fault) and optimistic. While the Unknown Son was in the final stages of his illness, I was very stressed (ya think?). When I'm stressed, I get more than a bit sarcastic, and that never plays well with students (particularly when you're really pushing them).

This semester, I was unabashedly positive and relaxed in the class. I also spent much more time early on framing their expectations. So, there was very little griping to the folks in the Dean's office. Finally, I made a concerted effort to make sure the focii of the class were working problems (and making THEM work problems) in class until they couldn't take it any more, and forcing them to participate. The students seem to have gotten the message that an easier road in class is often not the the best option.

Unfortunately, we don't do a common final exam for the principles class at Unknown University. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that my students have a better grasp of the material than in some of the other sections, but I'm always leery of making statements like this because of biases in my own perceptions (confirmation bias, hubris, and so on). I'd like to see if hard data shows that they know more, or if I'm just convincing myself. Maybe next time I can convince them to go the common exam road.

My student-managed fund class also did better than I expected. I always fear the worst as they're getting read for their end-of-semester presentation to the Alumni. This semester, we made the presentation it at the offices of a major investment-management company. The students did well, so it should help with placement of our grads at this firm in the future. I brought a couple of juniors who will be in the class next semester along to the presentation, and one of them might have made a connection there (with an Unknown University alum who already works at the firm). So, he might have made a major step towards scoring an internship for this summer.

In any event, I've had enough office time for a Saturday. So it's time to head out for some Christmas shopping and then settle in for the big UFC fight tonight. Since the Unknown Family is out of town, I get to do the bachelor thing.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Knowing how to write, and write well, is a skill that will come in handy in all sorts of situations. And if you combine good writing skills with the persuasive selling tactics found in, say, copywriting, you'll be that much more ahead of your competition. professional article writing service

aliyaa said...

The students did well, so it should help with placement of our grads at this firm in the future. The phd personal statement is for all the students seem to have gotten the message that an easier road in class is often not the the best option.

Anonymous said...


Exams is the most important part in student's life, goof grades along with other activities will help to land a good position after graduation

Joe said...

Clark Capital Funding - With over 25 years of business building experience, we will work very hard to help you build your business. Not just in new equipment, but in building your network as well. Every industry is very competitive, investing in new equipment will help increase production, but our goal is to also help you gain new clients as well. Please visit our “Building your Business” page to learn how we can help you grow.

Long-Term Solutions for Growing your Business - Equipment Leasing

Free Exclusive SEO AgencySEO report on your business
We offer Nationwide lease coverage as well as leasing in Canada.
Flexible payment options including deferred, seasonal, and Skip Payment plans. 100% financing
Transactions from $1,000 to Millions
New and Used Equipment Leasing including Software too
Vendor programs for all types of equipment sellers
Accounts Receivable Financing and SBA Loans, Healthcare Loans
Quick Responses

Equipment Leasing PA
Equipment Leasing Hersey PA
Equipment Leasing Exton PA
Equipment Leasing Chester County
Equipment Leasing Cherry Hill NJ
Equipment Leasing Atlantic City Nj

writing helpers here said...

Teachers are glad when their students are making progress. I like teachers who support desire to succeed. A good education is the first step to a success. Be successful!

Tia Hartley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rohanrj said...

You have raised an important issue..Thanks for sharing..I would like to read more current affairs from this blog..keep posting. Marijuana vape pens

Kathy Riddle said...

The online service managementessay4u.com assists in writing written assignments on various topics. If necessary, our writers will write an essay for you on their own. But I would not recommend ordering all written work on the side. Important subjects need to be taught independently.

Assignment Help Online said...

I brought several youngsters who will be in the class next semester along to the introduction, and one of them may have made an association there (with an Unknown University alum who as of now works at the firm).

Best MBA Assignment writers uk said...

My standards class went in a way that is better than it's gone in quite a while. I generally attempt to give my understudies their cash's worth, and push them fundamentally harder than in different segments of the class. In earlier semesters, they'd grumbled about this to the Powers That Be.