Want to be notified when a new article is posted? Entere your email here.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Cautionary Quote Of The Day

Professors are paid to "profess" (to talk to others about their area of expertise). We're not alone in this - judges, lawyers, and doctors* are also in this boat. Unfortunately, we also have a tendency to think that we have the "obligation" to share our opinions in areas outside our professional qualifications. Here's a great quote I should keep pasted to my computer to remind me when I talk about non-finance/econ topics:

"I believe that a scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy"
Richard Feynman (1918-1988)
* The Unknown Son has been dealing with some medical issues for several years that require us to spend a lot of time around doctors. One of them (a pediatric oncologist) told me the following joke, which is pretty accurate IMHO:

Q: What's the difference between God and a surgeon?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

No comments: