Monday, November 20, 2006

When Will I Learn?

I was grading problem sets last night, and I thought, "Man - A Mike's Lemonade would go down pretty well right now". After all, I'd put in several hours of raking leaves (no, they're not done yet, but I have managed to give myself tendinitis in my wrist), spent a couple of hours editing a paper, and the kids were in bed.

And before I go further, I didn't have more than one.

But for some reason, any alcohol in the hour or two before bed messes up my sleep cycle. And I know this from experience. So I woke up at 3:00, and tossed and turned for the next 3 1/2 hours. Of course, today is my long teaching day.

Tomorrow is a research day. I've got a data set I have toget together for a student at my previous school who's working on her dissertation (I'm on her committee). We have the data she needs here at Unknown University version 2.0, but not at U.U. version 1.0 (in fact, since we knew I was coming here, the knowledge that I'd have access to the data was a major determinant in her choosing the topic). So, I'll make a cut of the data set and send it to her and she takes it from there.

I've also got an exam to give at 6:30, and the early version of the same at 3:00. So I'll be around all day (and evening).

In other words, I'll need breaks. So I'll post more tomorrow. For now, I'm going to bed.

Without Lemonade.

No comments: