Tuesday, April 03, 2007

A New Project

I finished three projects this past semester that I'd been working on for a while. So, that means I get to start a new one. It should be interesting for a number of reasons. First, it's an idea that I first thought of over 7 years ago. I initially filed it away since I had too many other things going on. In addition, it involved time-series analysis, and I don't have a very good grounding in that part of econometrics.

But one of my new colleagues has been doing exactly the kind of time series I need (vector autoregression) for many years. He's an interesting sort - it's been almost 40 years since he got his Ph.D., and he won the College Research award this past year. He averages 2-3 pubs a year after 39 years in the game. Now THAT is truly impressive. He's also a pretty funny and lively guy. So I'm looking forward to working with him.

In addition, it's the kind of research topic I enjoy - it brings together a couple of different strands of literature, and also extends some earlier work with an added twist. Someone once called my style the "Chinese Menu" approach to research - pick one topic from column A and one from column B and mix them together.

And finally, it'll require a fair bit of SAS programming to put the data together (really - that's a plus, not a minus). It'll take a couple of weeks of work and will require combining data from three separate large data sources. But that shouldn't be too hard (famous last words there, eh?), since I'm a fairly good programmer. It'll even require me to learn a few new tricks, which is always fun.

There are only 4 weeks left of classes at Unknown University, and with luck I'll have the data pulled together to hand off to my colleague by the time final exams come around. Then I can focus on my cycling for a bit while HE tortures the data.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In case you do have a venture opened, you begin developing a brand new challenge by using choosing record > new > new undertaking from the principle menu.Printed Circuit Boards Assembly | printed circuit board assembly manufacturer

Anonymous said...

I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. thanks keep rocking, it's time to avail this commercial cleaning Dallas visit for more details.

Anonymous said...

Great Job, and your blog is very valuable for us. I totally agree with what you are saying and hope to see more of your posts in the near future. thanks this time to take advantage of Remodeling Services in Sacramento CA visit for more details.