Monday, December 18, 2006

It's a Monday

I couldn't get to sleep last night, so I tossed and turned until 2. Then I woke at 7:30 for a routine checkup with my new physician (at 8:30). When I got there, I discovered it was actually a 3:30 appointment. Ah well, I chalk it up to it being a Monday and to my not having had enough coffee.

I'm only linking to a few things today - mostly M&A related stuff, with the obligatory reference to options backdating. It's interesting to see the NYT pieces, since we discussed similar things in my doctoral program.

So, here are today's links:
According to BusinessWeek, hostile takeover bids are on the rise. That's probably a good thing - things were getting a bit too comfy for the last few years. They give some reasons.

The NY Times has a couple of good pieces: one reports on a new study by Bebchuck, Grinstein, and Peyer that finds that options backdating wasn't limited to top executives - directors appeared to have gotten into he game too.

And a second NYT piece by Mark Hulbert discusses whether the current merger wave means that markets are overpriced. He does a good job of explaining the theories behind an overvaluation/acquisition link.

Jeff Cornwall is hosting the Christmas edition of the Carnival of The Capitalists.

And finally, for all you doctoral students on the job market, Craig Newmark links to "the ultimate rejection letter".
Enough blogging - I have exams and projects to grade, and some writing to do (and let's not forget the doctor's appointment at 3:30).

No comments: